The problem with the free version of Avira Antivir, however, is that it constantly pop-ups an annoying advertisement asking you to buy their premium version, usually after the signature database update. It's not the first time that their pop-up made one of my games crash while I was playing in fullscreen, so I set out to eliminate this annoyance.
Important: You'll have to disable Antivir's "Product Protection" first in order to do this manipulation:
- Open Avira Free Antivirus.
- Press F8 to open up the options (or from the menu, go to Extras > Configuration).
- Click Expert mode to enable advanced options (button turns yellow).
- On the General Tab, click Security.
- On right side Uncheck all boxes on the Product protection section.
Now let's disable the culprit responsible for these ads, a file named avnotify.exe.
- Go to the Antivir installation folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop
- Right click avnotify.exe and select Properties.
- Under the Security tab, select SYSTEM and click Edit...
- Tick Read & Execute in the Deny column, and click OK.
You can now (and should) revert back Antivir's "Production protection" in the same manner we've disabled it.
Reboot your computer and enjoy an advertisement free antivirus.
It seems there is still another way Avira can show us ads (using a file called ipmgui.exe) in the form of notifications in your lower right screen. If you wish to get rid of these messages too, simply repeat the steps above for the file ipmgui.exe found in Antivir's installation folder. Also, don't forget to enable the "Production protection" after you're done, it's very important.